Visiting Chicago - What to See and Do
(Chicago Midway Airport MDW, Illinois - IL, USA)
Chicago is one of the most important cities in the US. Known in the early 20th century as the gangland capital of the country, Chicago has completely redefined itself since and become an important center for American culture, historic sites and professional sports.
Ten things you must do in Chicago
- Walk on the Magnificent Mile and enjoy Chicago's world famous shopping, a particular treat in November and December when the street is festooned with lights for the holiday season.
- Watch a chess game and take a swim at North Avenue Beach and Chess Pavilion, a popular spot for swimming and scrutinizing chess competitions.
- Take a walking tour of one of Chicago's many historical and cultural neighborhoods. Several tours depart at various times daily from the Chicago Cultural Center.
- Tour Chicago's best-known sites on a fire truck named after the woman blamed for causing the great Chicago fire in 1871 on the O'Leary Fire Truck Tour.
- Gaze at the stars and take in terrific panoramic views of some of the city's best sites at Chicago's Hancock Observatory.
- See a musical at the Auditorium Theater, a restored historic building that now hosts some of the city's best live productions and has become one of the city's most prominent landmarks.
- Be there for the live recording of one of the most popular daytime talk shows in America, the Oprah Winfrey Show, recorded in Chicago's Greektown district.
- Interact with science at the Museum of Science and Industry, one of the world's largest science museums, which is filled with state-of-the-art exhibits including an indoor submarine and space center.
- Find some of your favorite books at the Harold Washington Library, one of the largest libraries in the world with over 12 million items including many rare pieces.
- Visit the Lincoln Park Zoo, the oldest zoo in America, which has more than 1,200 animals as well as a children's zoo and rides suitable for young children. .